14 Ways to Improve a Small Living Room
Oftentimes, you tend to underestimate the aptitude of the space that your living room has (also for other rooms inside your house). It happens when you are hemmed-in by insufficient expanse. Because of this, it gives you an unenthusiastic feeling to beautify your space thinking that putting up embellishment might overcrowd the area. Are you in this kind of situation right now? Does it really bother you? Well, to tell you honestly you don’t need to be. That’s the reason why I am here today to give out solutions to your uncertainties.
Actually, decorating a small space living room is just the same what you do with medium or large living rooms. But the tricky and challenging part is how to maintain the availability of the space despite of the numerous decorative things it have. So before starting up, try to consider these questions - how can I take full advantage of the small space I have? How can I make this small space seem bigger? What are the things that I must and must not do? So are you excited? Then let’s do this!
What are the common errors in decorating a small living room?
You might be asking yourself over and over again “Why does it still look crammed? I have done everything.” Hey! Be calm. Stop and think. Stay focused. Maybe you are doing these following mistakes:
1. Very complex layout. The functionality of your space greatly depends on how you have planned your layout. Others would just simply live with the fact of having a complicated home arrangement. Small space living rooms must be free from any barrier. It must be free flowing, be very inviting since we know that it is one of the most used space inside our homes.
2. Dark/ Gloomy Ambiance. A dark or gloomy ambiance can be a perfect dramatic effect for large sized rooms. But for small spaced rooms it has different effect. You must realize that dwelling inside a dark, pale room can make it even look smaller. But it’s not that hard to overcome a gloomy ambiance for a more invigorating and larger space to live.
3. Massive/ Bulky Furniture. Having a small space area can be very tricky. So you must be wise in choosing the right size of your furniture. I didn’t say that you cannot use bulky sizes of furniture at all. But it would be best when you keep a balanced look for your room. The main goal for small spaced rooms is to have an airy space. This would not be possible when you opt to use larger size of furniture all over the area.
4. Too many useless things. We have this attitude that we tend to collect and collect some stuffs that are not that useful inside our rooms. They may be a good piece of decor but sometimes can just overcrowd the area. We must state in mind that having a small spaced area is already a big challenge to live. It would be much harder when you keep on adding things that has no use. It can only occupy a lot of space keeping the area crammed full.
How to correct the errors and enhance your space?
Perhaps, we spend most of our time in our living room. Therefore, it needs to have a good and well-balanced layout. This would only happen when you get rid of doing those mistakes I have mentioned to you earlier. Instead, try to use the information below that serves as a solution for each corresponding error I have listed above.
Most apartments and condo units really have small spaces for living room for the reason that it only occupies a part of a building. So in this case, leasers and tenants have only limited privileges in their area. They are not permitted to customize the size, however; I know that you are allowed to customize the interior of your rented apartment according to your preference.
The layout must possess a welcoming ambiance not an isolated one. Given with a small space, to develop the size of your living room it is trickily done by setting it up in an elongated way. If possible don’t block any open space that will serve as an entryway to your living room. This way you can have a flawless connection with your other rooms.
A living room usually has 5-6 walls and that includes the flooring. So if you think flooring would not bring any difference on the overall appearance, you’re absolutely wrong! A brighter material for the flooring such as light oak or vinyl tile is a preference.
You may also use rugs and carpet with cool colors to fully illuminate the flooring. Patterned and printed rugs are examples of must used designs which makes your space look daring and bold.
In constructing your homes it is more favorable when you make your ceilings as high as possible. This allows more natural light to be inside your room which will open up your space. But if in any case you have already been dealing with small spaces, the only solution is same as what you did for the flooring. Painting the ceiling with bright color make the eyes draw upward which makes it appears higher or taller. Or you can even put some striking art or wallpaper that can pull attention away from the corners of the room.
4. Color Scheme
Color is one great factor that everyone should watch out. It has a great effect on your interior; it can either make the area look bigger or much smaller. Bright and warm color must only be the choice. Examples of these are white, cream, or beige. These colors give an illusion of a larger room. Make sure that your color scheme should be monochromatic. What does it mean? Apply one color for the wall, furniture, other accessories and fabrics. But if you wanted to have contrast, you can use different shades but of the same color only. Just like using different shades of yellow unto your drapes, throw pillow and other accessories.
To have unison in your decor avoid too many choices of prints. And also, stay away from many bold prints. But if you really wanted to have it, one or two throw pillow or rugs with large geometric daring prints will do no harm. In choosing wallpaper, it is much better to choose small prints with pastel colors or any vibrant shades. It is also effective to incorporate stripes into your decor. Horizontal stripes will visually widen a room while vertical stripes will make a low ceiling appear taller.
Natural light is an unswerving source as space widener. If luckily you are blessed with bigger windows take advantage of the natural light it has to offer. Leave it uncovered. By doing so, you will open up your space and lighten up the area naturally. An airy and well-lighted room gives depth to it.
If you don’t want to have bare windows, find out what is the best window treatment you can use. You can have window treatments like blinds, curtains or drapes. When adding drapes, choose the sheer style and make sure that the color of it unifies with the color of the wall. A drape printed with vertical stripes is a powerful trick for small room.
7. Lighting Fixtures
There are varieties of lighting fixtures that you can use. But not all of it can be an ideal lighting for small rooms. You must always identify what is the best among the rest to have an effective design.
Small rooms have a propensity to be crooked and congested most especially when it’s dim. Installing proper lighting can make it appear bigger and brighter. Using table lamps is fine but it must be with bigger shades. The perfect choices must be pendant light, floor lamp and recessed lighting. Adding lighting to the floor can also be a good plan.
If you have small space, it does not automatically mean that you need only small sized furniture. And it doesn’t also mean that you cannot add beauty and convenience into your space. Of course you can, given with some considerations and limitations. Through these considerations you’ll increase floor space and maintain a welcoming ambiance. Here are some points that you should take note:
- Try to utilize a lighter and smaller type of furniture. If you don’t want to give up your bulky sofa, okay then limit the use of side tables or accent tables. And as much as possible get rid of upholstered sofas that can visually eat up the size of your room.
- Choose sofa or chairs that have lightweight materials. Also, it would be much better to have furniture with exposed or raised legs and armless which creates a sense of openness. Integrating buoyant components into your design can open up things that allow your eyes to travel all throughout the space.
- It is a wiser move when you practice yourself to invest on multifunctional furniture. Just like having ottomans that can already serve as a chair or coffee table. There are also coffee tables and chairs that serve as a storage for things at the same time.
- Look for furniture that can just be easily stowed away when it’s not in use. Furniture that can be folded, piled, or swing away is the perfect choice for small space.
9. Furniture Arrangement
Arranging your furniture in a proper way can improve the flow of connections between your spaces. It is very much important to plan ahead on the sizes that will best go well with your space. It is not ideal to insist or to press in large furniture that doesn’t really fit in.
In arranging your furniture you must take note with the “3 foot rule”. In order to have a comfortable walking space you must set a 3 foot distance in between furniture. This is very useful especially for furniture with drawers and doors.
Additionally, furniture like sofa and chairs should not be placed against the wall. Give it distance of at least 12” far from the wall. And if you have curved corners it is better to fill-in those spaces to highlight the extent of the space making it look spacious.
10. Hanging shelves and storage
Never underestimate the convenience that your small space has to offer. There are certain unused vertical spaces wherein you can take advantage by adding shelves and storage cabinets. Don’t be afraid to mount in these shelves as high as possible. But don’t fill every exposed shelf; leave some space empty giving a fantasy that it has a lot of space to offer.
But if you have collection of books it would be much better to set up a bookshelf. Consider fixing a bookshelf from floor-to-ceiling or wall-to-wall that can expand the size of your space and it can also be a good means of storing things.
11. Larger Accessories
A home expert once said “Decorative accents smaller than a cantaloupe can crowd a room”. With this statement it is clearly enough to think that larger accessories are more advisable. But of course there is always a limit. Too many large accessories can turn your space into a junk. Incorporate only limited number of large vase or jars. Get rid with decors and accessories that clearly have nothing to do in that space.
12. Focal Point
In some other case, in order to limit the need for an accessory you must create a focal point. To avoid an overpowering look you must think of a feature that can draw interest or can be an eye-catching. Big pieces of wall art, paintings or picture frames can add a drama and make the room seem bigger.
13. Reflected materials
How to make your room look two times its size? Well, simply by adding reflective materials such as mirrors or glass (may it be on tabletops or cabinet doors) and metallic materials. Mirrors and glass intensifies and emits light much stronger creating a bright interior thus appears to be outsized. It must be placed after a source light, or can be next to or transverse to a window to surely reflect outdoor. A gleaming lamp or light fixture has also similar effect to mirrors.
14. De-clutter persistently
No room in your house would look presentable if it is filled with clutter; even larger size of living room. Small spaced rooms are easily predisposed by too much things. I am not depriving you of having things that you want but just make sure that it will serve a purpose. Or just at least provide an enough storage space to hide your rarely used things. By this you keep your things organized and at the same time you give your room a neat and tidy look.
Living in a small home with a small living room doesn’t always mean that you need to give up the interior design you wanted. If you may think decorating a small living room would be very favourable thinking that you only get to fill a small space. And follow the tips mentioned above to be perfectly right. If you have hot tips related to small spaces feel free to share it with us by commenting below.